Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Survey about Refugee Services

Dear volunteers or community members working with refugees:

I am a researcher in the College of Education at the University of Kentucky, and I study issues related to literacy and English language education for refugees in the U.S. I have worked with refugees for the past seven years, and I am currently conducting a study to explore the educational opportunities (ESL and adult basic literacy courses and programs) available to refugees in the Lexington area. I am particularly interested in the constraints and affordances that may shape how refugees do, or do not, participate in available programs, as well as the types of training and support available for teachers and tutors. I hope that this study’s findings may be useful in understanding ways that our community can work together to provide good support for refugees and those who work with refugees. Your perspective on these issues will be very helpful in this endeavor.

If you would be willing to participate in the study by sharing your perspective, please contact me by email or phone (my contact information is below). I will send you a packet that includes a consent form and a questionnaire, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I also would like to interview some of you to explore this topic and your responses in more depth, but this is optional. On the questionnaire form, there is a place to indicate whether you are willing to have me interview you. In addition, I am also interested in possibly observing some classes or tutoring sessions. Again, these observations are completely optional and voluntary. You can participate in this study by completing the questionnaire only, without participating in the interview or observations, or you can also agree to be interviewed and/or observed.

Thank you for your consideration. If you have any questions at all, or if you would like more information before deciding whether or not to participate in this study, please feel free to contact me.


Sincerely,

Kristen H. Perry, Ph.D.
University of Kentucky
341 Dickey Hall
Lexington, KY 40506-0017
Phone: 859-257-3836
Email: kristen.perry@uky.edu

No comments: